Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Few Roman Myths

Word of the Post: Bugie (Lies)

Before I came to Rome, I was told MANY things that I may encounter here. However, most of these things, I have no encountered, and this is the list of those things:

1. Small portions - I have had one small meal since I have been here, and that is because I cut it in half.

2. Baby throwers- I was told gypsies would throw babies at me to steal my money. I haven't encountered any baby throwers yet. I haven't seen a baby thrower yet. I haven't even seen a gypsie holding a baby--just many homeless people with dogs as their companions.

3. Bag stealers. Maybe I don't walk around by myself enough, or maybe I just keep a close enough eye on my purse--but I haven't encountered any of these, or seen any of these yet either. And the only vespa driver who even tried to reach for my bag was in the French Rivs, not Italy.

4. Spiderman- I don't see men scaling buildings to go in and steal everyones belongings.

5. A jeanless Rome- people wear jeans here.

6. They hate Americans- they actually like Americans--well the ones who like Obama at least.

7. Spaghetti and Meatballs- Sorry folks this is an American misconception. They never serve them together.

8. Fettucini Alfredo- They don't really know what alfredo sauce is.

9. They don't wear shorts- Not all of them do, but they don't NEVER wear shorts.

10. You can easily hop buses without a ticket- Not true, plenty of my friends have been busted and owed a 160 EURO fine.

11. Bread w/ Olive Oil- They don't dip, just us.

12. They don't drink to get drunk- OH YES...SOME OF THEM DO.

No comments: