Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"600,000 Kaboodle Please" A Weekend in Praha


Word of the Post: Preferita (Prefer)

Three months ago I had a list of several places I hoped to see while I was in Europe. I tried to narrow my list down to three, and when I got down to three I thought I was set. The list included Barcelona, Greece, and Switzerland. I have not been to any of those yet, but if I had to rewrite that list knowing what I know now, Prague would be at the top.

A week and a half ago six of us booked Prague on a lucky deal we found--and I wouldn't go back on the decision we made to come.

The people, the food, the architecture, the sites, and the travel couldn't have been anymore perfect. Not only were there several Starbucks (though I didn't give in to an American coffee), but there was also a castle, a concentration camp, an awesome hostel to stay in, and bohemian toast. I just wish I had more than one full day there.

I was surprised that I enjoyed Prague so much, because it hadn't even been a thought in my mind before coming here, but after our first dinner on Friday night I was convinced the trip was set for "amazingness."

Days before the trip I looked up information on the food in Prague. All the reviews I read were terrible, and I declared that I wouldn't be eating for an entire weekend. All the reviews were proved wrong after we sat down for a Czech dinner and received beef, dumplings, potato pancakes, and Bohemian toast. The following night was not disappointing either as I got pork, dumplings, sour kraut, and Bohemian toast--aka greatness.

Prague and Rome have several things in common: each have many bridges, each have a river running through the middle, an old city and a new city, great architecture, great food, and cobblestone. But on another scale they are completely different. Prague is much more modernized as bright lights fill streets, cars aren't all a different type of mini coop or fit, and night clubs can be found on roofs. The only thing that was different that really confused me was the money exchange there. Instead of using Euro in Prague, they use SK. Instead of paying for everything in increments of 1's or 10's, you pay for everything in increments of 100's. A dinner is about 250 SK, but that equals about 11 euro. I was at one point holding a 2000 dollar bill!

My favorite part of the trip was the river boat ride we went on Saturday night. I have now been on more boats in two weeks than I think I ever have been on in my entire life. But this boat ride was different. On this ride, we learned about the history of Prague, it's architecture, the bridges, buildings, and the food. We also saw a restaurant tha was being held up by a tree.

The trip came to an end with an awesome breakfast at a Bohemian restaurant just a few hours before our plane took off for Italy.

I try not to buy too many souveniors on trips--actually I normally don't buy any. But I enjoyed this trip so much that I had to buy a shirt. I now own a shirt that says "Czech Me Out." It was definently a necessity to my collection of T's.

No comments: