Thursday, October 9, 2008

Food of the World

Word of the Post: Cibo (Food)

When I made the decision to go to Rome at the beginning of the summer, I thought about all the monuments I would see, all the cities I would get to travel to, and all the people I would meet. It wasn’t until a month after my decision that I realized I was going to be in the country that produces my favorite type of food. So this summer I saved plenty of room in my body so that I could taste test several hundred types of food while I traveled through the pasta capitol of the world.

Before coming to Italy there are several things I never had any interest in. I’ve never liked mushrooms, and I have never liked eggplant. Since coming here, I am a changed person. Mushrooms are now almost on everything or in everything that I eat, and eggplant is one of my new favorite dishes.

I have decided to go ahead and make a top 10 list of the foods thus far:

10. Lemon chicken with Pasta
9. Drinks: Cappucino and White Wine (all kinds)
8. Octopus Salad- Naples
7. Risotto- Lance made the best mushroom risotto for dinner last week.
6. Nocciola- Hazlenut Gelato- From the Gelateria by the Pantheon. Absolutely delicious.
5. Napoli Pizza with zucchini and mushroom- Naples
4. Zucchini Ravioli- Naples
3. Rabbit- France
2. Eggplant Parm – Florence
1. Lasagna – Florence


Now some of these sounds like great things that you could get in the States, but I just think everything tastes better here. If I had made a top 11 list, fruit would be right there too. And if I had made a top 12 list, the cereal here would be right there. I believe I told Courtney that she had to come to Rome because she loves cereal and the Special K, Rice Krispies, and Fruit Fitness here are phenomenal in comparison to the cereals back at home, and I have no idea why.

Things I haven’t liked
1. A panino on white bread
2. Fake gelato
3. Cup of Coffee in Pompeii

Things you should know about real Italian food:
1. They don’t have fettuccini alfredo
2. They have spaghetti, and they have meatballs, but they don’t make them together. It is two separate meals.

Next on the list of things to try is Tripe, but we will see if I can stomach that one.

1 comment:

KathleenTorrens said...

Did you try the gelato con crema? If we're talking the same gelateria by the pantheon, you MUST try it. It is not for the faint of heart (or high in cholesterol).

keep having fun! dr.t